One of our “go to” finds that we cannot resist at farmers markets are tomatoes! We love them in all shapes, colors, and sizes, from large funny shaped heirlooms to multicolored cherry tomatoes. Here are a few fun and interesting facts about tomatoes.
- There are over 10,000 varieties of tomatoes today.
- Tomatoes are said to have originated in Peru.
- We aren’t the only ones who love tomatoes, they are the state fruit of Arkansas, Ohio, and Tennessee!
- Botanically, tomatoes are fruits, but they are often prepared and eaten alongside vegetables.
- At farmers markets, we often see heirloom tomatoes. These tomato seeds are passed down from generation to generation, like a family heirloom. Each season the seeds are saved by farmers and replanted the next, giving us the rainbow-colored, quirky shaped, juicy tomatoes we love!
- Tomatoes can be prepared and eaten in so many ways. We love slicing tomatoes raw and topping them with mozzarella, balsamic vinaigrette, and basil or sautéing them with garlic and herbs (our favorite additions are basil, thyme, parsley, and sage).
For more recipe ideas to use with your tomato haul, check out Bon Appétit’s 65 Tomato Recipes.
Thank you for visiting DLSH.com, the the online farmers market hub. We travel the country (and world!) in search of farmers markets to meet the growers and makers, so we can share their stories and products with you on our marketplace and blog. Please follow our journey! @farmers_market_friends on Instagram. And sign up for our newsletter below!
See our blog page to see more of our farmers market discoveries from across the USA. And if you’re interested in purchasing products from these makers, check out our online farmers marketplace that sources unique goods from growers and food crafters located all across the country.